Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Svensk Film Natt (Swedish Movie Night)


I finally finished reading the “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” books.  It’s so disappointing to know that there aren’t any more books in the series.  I really enjoyed the books and would have liked to read all 10 in the series that Stieg Larsson had planned to write.  Oh well, now it’s time to watch the movies!!  Normally, I’m not one for movies with subtitles.  However, Kona helped to expand my horizons when we picked a subtitled French movie as one of our Toronto Film Festival choices last year.  I discovered what many people already knew... that international films can sometimes be better than their Hollywood counterparts.  Without all of the Hollywood glitz and glamour, the international movies need to try a little harder.  Not to say I don’t love Hollywood movies but I’m no longer afraid of subtitles.  These movies were great.  They did a great job in casting all the characters.  It sucks when you read a book and picture all the characters only to have a movie mess with your imagination.  The actors fit so well with how I had pictured everyone.  There was also something fitting about hearing them all speak Swedish.  I wonder what the Hollywood version is going to be like.  Will it still be set in Sweden or will they relocate the story to the US?  I think the first movie comes out later this year.  We’ll just have to wait and see but my bet is that it doesn’t live up to the Swedish version.

So, what do you serve for Swedish Movie Night?  Smoked salmon, cheese and white wine seemed like a good choice.  To be honest though, smoked salmon and cheese goes with anything!  We picked the “Open” Riesling-Gewurztraminer from Niagara.  What a fabulous choice!  I’m normally a red wine drinker and just started to appreciate white wines again last year.  I always thought Rieslings were a sweeter wine so I stayed away from them.  Was I ever wrong!  It had a nice, light flavour that went really well with the strawberries we had for dessert.  I think I’m going to add this one to my “standard wines to keep on hand” list.

No comments:

Post a Comment